August 2011-
I am starting a 29-Day Challenge to give one gift each day and see how it affects my life. I have always considered myself a giver, but I feel this challenge will challenge and focus me on giving more. I was inspired by the book 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving can Change your Life. I ran across it 2 years ago in a bookstore in Springfield, MO, and I titled a piece of paper 29 Gifts. I found that same piece of paper the other day, and I saw it as a sign to start the challenge. You can learn more about the book and challenge at http://givingchallenge.ning.com/.

After 1 month of giving, I have continued this challenge in giving and sharing the stories with others. Hope you enjoy reading about my adventures with giving!



Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 7: Compromise with my Boss

My gift today was compromising with my boss.  I work at GTM Sportswear in Manhattan, KS in the Screenprint Department.  It's not flashy or a high-paying job, but it is a place I enjoy working while I finish my teaching degree.  Lately, the Screenprint Department that I work in has been very busy, and we have been required to work the dreaded Saturday shift.  To tell you the truth, I don't mind working Saturdays, but it seems lately I have had prior engagements each Saturday we are asked to work.  With the three upcoming Saturdays busy, I decided to talk to my boss about a different plan.  I proposed I work six 10-hour days instead of coming in for two six-hour weekend shifts to make up the hours.  Needless to say, my boss is a kind, understanding soul, and he agreed very quickly to my proposed plan.  The thing is that he didn't have to agree, and I didn't have to even make up the hours.  But I decided my gift today would be working with my boss to do my part and put in my time for the weekend shifts I would be missing.  Compromise is a key essential in any relationship.  We have to be willing to see each other's point of view, and we have to be willing to do things that we particularly don't want to do to make things work.  Cherish those people in your life that are willing to compromise and see your point of view, and be willing to do the same for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment