August 2011-
I am starting a 29-Day Challenge to give one gift each day and see how it affects my life. I have always considered myself a giver, but I feel this challenge will challenge and focus me on giving more. I was inspired by the book 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving can Change your Life. I ran across it 2 years ago in a bookstore in Springfield, MO, and I titled a piece of paper 29 Gifts. I found that same piece of paper the other day, and I saw it as a sign to start the challenge. You can learn more about the book and challenge at http://givingchallenge.ning.com/.

After 1 month of giving, I have continued this challenge in giving and sharing the stories with others. Hope you enjoy reading about my adventures with giving!



Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 31: Helping Delbert

Today I was going about my busy day; going to work, going to class, going to the recycling center, and then going to volunteer at Boys and Girls Club.  While I was at the recycling center, I went about my normal business sorting my plastics, cardboard, paper, glass, tin cans, and other recyclables into the different compartments.  I got done rather quickly.  As I exited Howie's, I glanced over to see an elderly gentlemen unloading his recyclables onto a cart.  I quickly put my recycling bins back in my trunk and sat down in my car to start it.  I glanced over to see the elderly man continuing to unload his recyclables.  I started my car and put my car in reverse and then I reached for my phone and looked at the time.  It was 3:45 and I had to be at Boys and Girls Club at 4:00.  Thoughts raced through my mind.  What if he gets mad and doesn't want my help?  What if I leave and don't help him?  What if I do help him?  Then I thought of this, my blog, my inspiration, my want to really be the change we want to see in the world and how each day we are presented with these situations in which we choose to help someone or to ignore them.  I put my car back in park and turned the ignition off.  I walked over to the elderly gentlemen and told him I had some time to spare and asked him if he needed some help.  He kindly said that it would be fine.  I soon began emptying boxes of cardboard, bags of plastic, and bags of heavy papers.  It took about five to seven minutes to help this kind man out.  He kept saying "It is so kind of you to help".  I just knew I was supposed to stop and help him.  It's such a gift to offer help and have another receive it.  He was so kind and introduced himself as Del, short for Delbert.  He was so friendly and said it would have taken him much longer to unload all of his recyclables.  We all can be those helpful, friendly, and giving people in our communities.  Each day we are presented with situations that we have to make a choice about.  I hope this story opens your eyes to helping someone in need or just helping someone out to brighten their day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment