August 2011-
I am starting a 29-Day Challenge to give one gift each day and see how it affects my life. I have always considered myself a giver, but I feel this challenge will challenge and focus me on giving more. I was inspired by the book 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving can Change your Life. I ran across it 2 years ago in a bookstore in Springfield, MO, and I titled a piece of paper 29 Gifts. I found that same piece of paper the other day, and I saw it as a sign to start the challenge. You can learn more about the book and challenge at http://givingchallenge.ning.com/.

After 1 month of giving, I have continued this challenge in giving and sharing the stories with others. Hope you enjoy reading about my adventures with giving!



Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 24: Donation and Birthday present

Today my gift was donating to a raffle to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness and giving my friend Sara a sweet running watch for her birthday.  I went home with my friend Sara and I got the chance to experience Old Settlers Days in Mulvane, KS.  It was quite the small-town experience equipped with fair rides, an awesome parade, lots of friends and family, and a rodeo to top off the evening.  My favorite part was probably riding the Tilt-a-Whirl with Sara, Kendra, and her little cousin Cara (aka Carebear...yeah she calls me Sherbear).  I was nervous at first.  I'm not a big fan of spinning rides, stemming from a bad experience at my own hometown Ellis Riverfest.  Cara insisted that we all needed to ride it together.  We stepped up, and we all gave the worker our tickets.  We picked out a cab towards the front and sandwiched all four of us in.  Once we started around the first curve, I felt the rush of the first tilt and whirl, and at that moment I knew it was going to be fine.  I screamed like a small child and laughed uncontrollably.  I felt so free and childlike.  What a great experience.  Sometimes the greatest of our experiences make us nervous or anxious, but I think that's the beauty in any experience.  We never know how things will turn out, but we have to take risks to truly experience life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment