August 2011-
I am starting a 29-Day Challenge to give one gift each day and see how it affects my life. I have always considered myself a giver, but I feel this challenge will challenge and focus me on giving more. I was inspired by the book 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving can Change your Life. I ran across it 2 years ago in a bookstore in Springfield, MO, and I titled a piece of paper 29 Gifts. I found that same piece of paper the other day, and I saw it as a sign to start the challenge. You can learn more about the book and challenge at http://givingchallenge.ning.com/.

After 1 month of giving, I have continued this challenge in giving and sharing the stories with others. Hope you enjoy reading about my adventures with giving!



Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 15: Surprising my Mom with Lunch

Sternberg Museum, where my Mom works
Today, my gift was surprising my wonderful Mom with lunch at work.  I was headed back to Ellis for my Grandma's 80th birthday party this weekend.  I left Assaria after getting ready for the day, and along I-70 I ran into a lot of construction.  It took me longer than expected to reach the thresholds of Ellis county.  I was about 10 miles out of Hays, and my gas light went on.  It was 11:40, and my mom's lunch break is at noon.  I went into a slight panic, but I figured it might be an adventure to run out of gas.  I hoped and prayed that I would have enough gas to reach Hays.  Soon enough, I arrived in Hays at 11:45, and I stopped at the first gas station I came to called Quest Gas Station.  They were charging $3.99 a gallon for gas, when I drove down the street to see every other gas station was charging $3.42 a gallon.  I was a little frustrated, but I made my way down the road to Jimmy Johns.  Super Freaky Fast is there slogan, and that was what I needed to make it to the Sternberg Museum, where my mom works, before noon.  At the drive-thru line, I handed my debit card to the worker, then she handed me my drink and had my debit card still in her hand.  I assumed she ran it, and she was giving it back to me.  I tugged on it, but it wasn't coming out of her hand.  I tugged again, and she gave me a look and said she hadn't ran the card yet.  I let go, and then I giggled to myself thinking..AWKWARD moment.  After my Jimmy Johns adventure, I looked at my phone reading the time as 11:52.  I drove out of the parking lot and headed in the direction of Sternberg Museum, but I took a wrong turn.  I turned around and got back on the main road.  I drove a little ways down the road, and finally, I saw the entrance sign to the museum.  I drove in the entrance, and I parked my car in the first parking spot I saw.  I reached down and grabbed the bag of food and two drinks (a task in itself).  I walked into the museum and asked the front desk lady if she knew where my mom was.  Luckily, my mom was talking to her co-worker on the stairs leading to the exhibits, and she hadn't gone to lunch yet.  Yes, I had made it!!  She was totally surprised to see me since I sneakily had called earlier and told her I was eating lunch with my friend, Dani.  Ha ha...little did she know I had been scheming my lunch surprise plan.  It was SUPER awesome to surprise my Mom for lunch, and it was an enjoyable experience just to hang out with her and catch up.  After lunch, she showed me this old snapping turtle on exhibit at the museum, which was another cool surprise.  Today make life a little more exciting and try surprising someone with something special.  You might just experience some surprises of your own.


Snapping Turtle, he's so cute! :)

Another picture of Mr. Snapping Turtle

No comments:

Post a Comment