August 2011-
I am starting a 29-Day Challenge to give one gift each day and see how it affects my life. I have always considered myself a giver, but I feel this challenge will challenge and focus me on giving more. I was inspired by the book 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving can Change your Life. I ran across it 2 years ago in a bookstore in Springfield, MO, and I titled a piece of paper 29 Gifts. I found that same piece of paper the other day, and I saw it as a sign to start the challenge. You can learn more about the book and challenge at http://givingchallenge.ning.com/.

After 1 month of giving, I have continued this challenge in giving and sharing the stories with others. Hope you enjoy reading about my adventures with giving!



Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 2: Donation to Nelson-Atkins Musuem of Art

 My gift today was a donation to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City.  I decided this morning to go the the museum when my friend in KC wasn't going to be home until later in the evening.  I'm so happy I decided to go visit the museum; the experience was absolutely wonderful.  It was my first time to the museum, and it is filled with some interesting/beautiful pieces of artwork.  I especially enjoyed the photographs and contemporary pieces of artwork.  Also, I had the chance to meet Zach Houston, who creates poems on the spot about any subject.  I had Zach create a poem about running for me since I will be running in the Warrior Dash this weekend.  It was really interesting to watch Zach type on his typewriter to create a one-of-a-kind poem.  The museum experience made me feel very at peace, and I'm glad I had the chance to make a donation to the museum.   After leaving the museum, I started following my mapquest directions to my friend's house.  Needless to say I got a little mixed up and ended up a little out of the way in Liberty, MO. I was trying to navigate with my giant atlas and decided to stop and get some supper since it was approaching nine o' clock.  I planned to stop at Chick-fil-A, but I spotted Jimmy Johns and just had to go there.  I'm sure glad I did because I met this nice gentleman who helped me find the exact directions to my friends house.  He was so patient, kind, and helpful.  It just made my day!  I walked out of Jimmy Johns with a skip in my step.  Small acts of kindness and giving make a big difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment